Sunday, January 20, 2013

Amphibious Endeavors Through the Swamp

One of my New Year's resolutions was NOT to blog more.  But I realize this would be a good goal to adopt.

SO MUCH IS HAPPENING!!!

Thus far, I've been horribly sick (second time in a row and no, it was not the dreaded F to the L to the U, though it came dangerously close - I'd like to thank pure blueberry juice and also carrot/orange juice for their support.  Not to mention the countless gas stations which provided me with their largest water bottle available.  Oh, and gummy vitamins............which are NOT for toddlers).  In the midst of sickness, however, TWO theatrical auditions came my way. One for a sweet sexy little role in a black and white indie noir flick and the other for (doot, doot, doot, DOOT, doot, doot, doot, DOOT) DAYS of Our Lives.  Yes, like sand through the hourglass, so were the beautiful actresses pouring through the door to compete for two series regular roles on this enduring soap.

I also had three commercial auditions - Toms Eyewear, Miralax (no, I am not above a commercial suggesting constipation problems. Come on, you can't go your whole life and be regular), and a callback for Sudafed where I hop around in a bikini in a room full of people with laptops pretending to jump off a dock or a cliff. Hilarious and fun.

Of course, when it rains, it pours. I was successful at keeping my temperature down around 100 even, but just walking to my car and back was exhausting.  So in between rest periods, it was of dire importance that I somehow break slightly - JUST SLIGHTLY - the solid wall of mucous holding my vocal chords hostage. Otherwise, I was sounding like Gollum's ugly sister upon opening my mouth.  The key to this?  Water.  No, not just to consume, I'm talking about steaming in it, sitting in it when bubbling hot, rinsing off with it, breathing it, dousing myself over and over and over.  Yes, that's right. I am talking about Korean bathhouses. Perhaps "spa" is a more appropriate term - or less scary - but I went downtown for three days in a row to STEAM this bile out of my system and get my voice back. Like Ariel from Ursula - I had to earn it with great effort.

You don't understand, though.  I have stumbled into a fascinating new world by going to these bathhouses.  Women - naked, uncaring, beautifying, scrubbing, soaking, steaming, talking, relaxing, RESTORING - um, it's amazing.  It's totally liberating.  And FYI, steaming is TOUGH to do for a long period of time.  I got light headed every time and had to take breaks. But these other ladies - these hardcore spa-divers - they flit around from room to room like it's a sampler platter and it's their duty to their bodies to enjoy water in every form.  These ladies were amphibious and the environment infectious. 

Enough about that. What's ahead for me? I have my voice back. I am still coughing up unwanted goo - at least for a couple more days.  I am waiting to hear back about auditions.  I have a pilot my friend wants me to shoot on Thursday.  I am shooting three new scenes for my reel next weekend.  Workshops are out there waiting for me to sign up and I have a gift certificate so what am I waiting for?!

I will leave you with this fun bit for now: I saw a certain big celebrity recently at a party.  Have I ever been attracted to him? Um, yes, but not in the "he's my celebrity crush sort of way".  As he was leaving, he turned to lock eyes with me and gave me that special twinkle in his eyes, tight little cat-ate-the-canary smile, and the most elegant little wave of his fingers, a hidden message of flirtation. Now, I don't swoon.  But I do relish.  I will take a secret exhange of energy like that any day.  So as I fell into the arms of sickness the next day, I didn't have to forget that I am wanted.

You are too, my friends.  And in La La, that's all that matters.


No comments:

Post a Comment