Thursday, April 18, 2013

Headshots are a Pain in the...

Well, HEAD of course. 

Little dollar signs floating around in your brain, obstructing your vision, writing checks and handing them over - flinging them quickly at people you have to pay for the deposit, the session, the hair and makeup, the "costumes" aka pieces you bought specifically for this shoot, the online proofs, the actual prints, the PER PHOTO CHARGE on every acting website your agents use and updating on every workshop site you are a member of (bends over panting in exhaustion), I mean Dave Chappelle would say gawDAYum. 


It's a lot of money to be an actor. Talk about an occupation of torrential risk to pursue - pursue! Not interview for, CHASE. Literally chase down while spending money on things that will "eventually" pay off.  I once explained to a friend a list of expenses I had to keep on top of my normal everday life ones.  I talked for like ten minutes in this list. It is CRAZY - especially if you are single and working to pay every bill yourself by having more than one job.  Even joining SAG was a mere $3K.  And don't get me started on hair appointments.

Anywho, I have new headshots. My hair is longer, darker, curlier - and I needed something warmer ontop of something current compared the "Ice Queen" series I took last. That's not a put down! I love those photos, but they are so blonde and snowy. The following were taken by Adam Sheridan Taylor. Please ignore the fact that I look like Norma Jean in the blue commercial shot - wait, that fact will make me a lot of money! Spread the word!  Well, I think these shots cover a few facets of my personality, definitely not the majority, but we'll see how CDs respond.

Oh and speaking of ice queens, I watched Frost/Nixon last night. FINALLY.  Michael Sheen is pretty fabulous, I have to say, though his actual conversations - outside of the interviews - with Nixon leave him seeming nearly speechless, which is a poor script choice in my opinion.  He lets Nixon talk and talk and talk and chooses to say nearly nothing every time. One word responses with a polite awkward smile. I did not understand that. It seemed meek and hobbit-like. Frank Langella - to be expected - is a force. Michael barely reckoned with him, but his phone call to Frost in the middle of the night - loved it. Sadness, anger, and left with nothing but those tangling negative tapes to play endlessly in his mind until death. The film also did a lovely job of clarifying the emotion of the nation during that time by showing tons of news footage in the era. 

It's a bit long, not particularly impressive filmmaking, but a great exercise for actors to watch.  Michael Sheen and Frank Langella exemplify exactly what I was talking about in my last blog - they are tasting that cake the entire time.

No comments:

Post a Comment